Play leaders are pupils from Year 6 who help younger children in the school at playtimes. They receive training and support from staff to ensure that they have the skills to help others effectively.
The benefits of peer play leaders include:
- The creation of a safe and positive environment
- Development of children’s social skills
- The creation of an atmosphere of calm and cooperation in the playground
- An offer of help with any play/friendship problems
- Happy children at playtimes
The Play Leaders' Mission:
- To be a role model around the school
- To teach younger children new games
- To help with friendships
- To be impartial and provide a listening ear when pupils fall out
- To help sort out problems
- To help prevent bullying
The type of help we offer is:
- Serious incidents - take to a member of staff on duty
- Friendship fall-outs - help the children deal with the problem or find a member of staff to help
- Practical help e.g. teach little children how to play.
- Help each other help others too!